Language Translation & Dictionaries
Below are a series of online
translators that can be used for free to translate texts or
words between different languages. Be aware that the translations
are generally inaccurate, irreceptive to colloquium, or altogether
false. The flags of languages used at the left sidebar of
the EHL are the best translations possible. The more obscure
the translated language, the more inaccurate and difficult.
The most generally-accurate languages used in online translation
are English, German, Dutch, Italian, French, Spanish, and
Portuguese. Bulgarian, Romanian, or Slovenian, for example,
would likely have the worst. To get the best translation,
use words and grammar that are most professional and appropriate
for the target language. If you have any additional translation
programs or dictionaries, please notify
1) BabelFish: http://babelfish.altavista.com/
<-- the best translation program (English, German, Dutch,
Italian, Russian, Greek, Portuguese, Spanish, Japanese)
2) InterTran: http://www.tranexp.com:2000/Translate/result.shtml
<-- overt 20 languages; often crashes; keep refreshing.
Very obscure languages, including Bulgarian, Slovene, Czech,
Serbian, Croatian, etc. Romanian and Serbian are very poor.
3) Free Translation: http://www.freetranslation.com
<-- very quick, accurate. Basic languages, including Norwegian,
Spanish, Portuguese, etc.
4) TransExp: http://www.tranexp.com
<-- paid product, very powerful. Over 20 languages used
5) Langeberg: http://translation.langenberg.com
<-- uses multiple translators at once
6) Google Translation: http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en
<-- quick, accurate. Many of the most common languages,
including some obscure European ones.
<-- very useful downloads for reference, ancient and rare
8) Paralink: http://translation2.paralink.com
<-- poor, but fast and low traffic
9) Free Dictionary: http://www.freedict.com
<-- quick, many languages (individual words)
10) LEC Translation: http://www.lec.com/Affiliates/AffiliatesTranslateText.asp?Affiliate=WL0014
<-- fast and simple Ukrainian, Polish, Arabic, Turkish,
11) 1-800-Translate: http://www.1-800-translate.com/machine_trans/
<-- free Ukrainian, Turkish, Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Polish,
etc. Often does not work; try later.
12) Slovnyk: http://www.slovnyk.org.ua
<-- Slavic-English, including Belarussian, Russian, Ukrainian,
13) Interpret: http://interpret.co.za
<-- Afrikaans (Dutch South African), Italian, German, Dutch,
14) Sunda: http://www.sunda.fi/eng/online_demo.html
<-- Finnish only. Very accurate.
15) Trident: http://www.trident.com.ua/index.html
<-- Ukrainian, Latvian, etc.
16) Amebis: http://presis.amebis.si/prevajanje/
<-- English to Slovene
17) SkyCode: http://webtrance.skycode.com/online.asp?current=6&lang=en
<-- English to Bulgarian
18) Northern European languages:
^Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian,
Swedish, Latvian, etc.
<-- dedicated Russian
20) Applied Language translation
translation, or their excellent